Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Great Artist and the Last of Rome



I will complete our visit to Rome by describing the Sistine Chapel, and more specifically, Michelangelo’s ceiling. Bright and early on Monday morning we hustled to the metro to go to the Vatican Museum. We wandered through various exhibits, many of them dating as far back as 600 B.C. Crazy to even think about.
When we walked through the doors that brought us into the Chapel I was awe struck. It was absolutely, hands down, the most amazing thing I have ever seen. The way Michelangelo captured the familiar Bible stories in such a beautiful and expressive way is astounding. If my neck didn’t start to hurt so much I could have stared at the ceiling all day. I wish I could find the words to describe the way that room looked and felt. I can appreciate beautiful art… but this goes so much deeper than that. Amazing Bible stories and characters as portrayed in beautiful art is the most amazing combination. I could go on and on. I will just say, I loved that ceiling, and I love Michelangelo (also because he gave us David, but more on that later). 
And so ended our beautiful stay in Rome. As we walked back to our room from the museum and looked over the city, I felt quite sad at the thought of leaving. But Cory promises we will go back again, so at least I have something to look forward to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...