Wednesday, October 30, 2013

DIY Matching Bedroom Set


I am going to get a little bit crafty in today's post. One of my favorite things to do is work on my house, making it look cute and homey without breaking the bank.

When Cory and I got married we did not want to get into debt or spend any money unnecessarily. Therefore every piece of furniture that makes up our cozy little home consists of hand-me-downs (with the exception of two items that I purchased at garage sales within the last few years).

I have strived to let my creativity mask the mismatched pieces to make a complete ensemble. In some cases I have done better than others. In others I don’t even know where to begin.

My parents let me have these two old… though rather homely… dressers. The drawers worked wonderfully. I was thrilled that they matched at, if nothing else in my bedroom or house. Cory had these old nightstands that were a terrible brownish color with the tops was peeling off.

My bedroom looked like a genocide of color. 

And so I decided to paint everything in my room to make it match. I bought a gallon of this beautiful burgundy paint that matched my bedspread. I got new handles for the nightstands that would better match the style and color of the handles on my dressers and I sanded the tops.

In addition to the pieces of furniture, the dresser had a big mirror unattached and I bought an ugly gold frame to accommodate our recent photos.

This was one of the funnest projects because I was so happy with the outcome. I even painted a small accent wall in the same color to tie everything together.

I still have a few ideas that I want to work with... but this was a good start. 

This is all I needed to completely change the look and feel of my bedroom:

1 gallon of Paint - $22.00
Painting accessories - $10.00
New handles for nightstands - $8.00
Ugly gold frame from Marshalls - $10.00

So for a grand total of $50.00 and a couple days of my time, my room actually looks put together. I have a complete set of matching furniture.

How about you? Do you have any creative ideas or visions for your home? You don't have to spend a lot of money to make your home cute. Start with one room at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...