Monday, January 13, 2014

Call Me Mrs. Old Fashioned



Happy Monday everyone! A new day and a new lovely week to recommence the blogathon! Today’s prompt is a fun one: rant about something.

I was not sure what I was going to rant about today until I happened upon another girl’s blog over the weekend. She was writing about marriage. Overall she had a lot of good things to say, but her premise just set the fire inside of me because she felt that the traditional or “old fashioned” way of doing things is no longer relevant in our society.

I happen to be an individual with very strong convictions in regards to family and marriage. God created this wonderful union between a husband and a wife because we complete one another. Yes, we drive each other crazy on occasion. But what would life be if you didn’t feel a little crazy sometimes?

This particular blogger was pointing out that fifty percent of marriages end in divorce. Therefore she felt that those who enter into marriage should not have a big wedding and spend money until they have been together ten years. Essentially, skip the whole “marriage” thing entirely. I am not saying that I think it is a good idea to get in debt over a wedding… but really, what sense does it make to stay together for ten years to see if you will make it in your marriage. Where is your commitment? So the first ten years of your relationship you have a back door with an “out” just in case he is particularly irritating?

What is so great about our society these days that we throw all of the wonderful, Christian founded principals out the window for the sake of being “old fashioned?”

It is almost as if individuals wander into marriage with their fingers crossed hoping to be part of the fifty percent that do make it.

I feel like I should be talking to Charlotte from Pride and Prejudice to retort her belief that "happiness in life is entirely a matter of chance you know." Happiness in life and success in marriage is not chance, or fate, or the happily ever after feeling. No, the success comes down to something far more tangible – you.

Call me old fashioned but (second to my walk with the Lord) my marriage, my husband, and my home, are number one priority in my life. It is not my job, school, hobby, ministry, or anything else of import in life. Because the importance of everything else fades away in comparison to this wonderful gift God has given me. A companion to walk though life with. Forever. For what God has joined together, let no man separate.

What gets you riled up? Link below!

7 comments:

  1. i feel like i could have written this post! :) society really does kinda act like "fingers crossed this marriage works out" when, really, it WOULD work out if people would remember they made a covenant to God and their spouse & put in the extra work it takes. i think the reason most marriages fail is because people don't take the responsibility anymore - your marriage depends on you! there is no chance, like you said, only hard work & commitment!

    p.s. that is a GORGEOUS photo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to comment, Robyn. It is so refreshing to hear people who still think this way. Sometimes society can be so discouraging with the skewed morals that is our new "normal". I am with you, people need to take responsibility and MAKE their marriages what they want :)

      Delete
  2. I love this! Having been married only seven years, we have had our ups and downs. During one season of our lives I could have easily thrown in the towel and have been done but I refuse! I knew I wanted to fight for my marriage and make it work! I take pride in serving my husband. People find it crazy that we sit at our table for dinner and I fix his plate and drink. He does very little around our home because I feel as his wife it is my calling to take care of every aspect.I'm the "submissive" wife though by no means does my husband take advantage of it and walk all over me. His duty is to provide and lead our family towards Christ and he does just that. I'm proud to be old fashioned! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angel! Thank you for sharing. If only people could grasp how fulfilling it is to serve your husband because it makes him want to love you and take care of you all the more. God set the system up a certain way, why does our society try to move away from his perfect order? Have a great day!

      Delete
  3. Sometimes....even the strongest of convictions for family and marriage...cannot withstand the evils of the day. Love the post! (joined up with your blogathon; am a new visitor) Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our lives are so blessed when we have the Lord at the center of our homes and marriages. He truly teaches us how to walk in love with our spouses and directs our steps to make our lives together an example to others. Old fashioned equals God centered, and brings with it true prosperity; spirit, soul and body.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...