Sunday, January 5, 2014

Christmas Recap LINK UP!!

Today is day one of the January Blogathon! Thank you to those who are linking up this month! I am looking forward to learning more about you. And to those who are here to read a little here and there in the hopes of a chuckle, inspiration, or a glimpse of simple writing about real life, thank you for being a part of this. It should be a lot of fun :) 

Our first prompt is a fun and easy one. Your personal "home for the holidays" recap complete with all of your own traditions you love. 


Christmas is so much fun in our house. I mean… it is amazing. Most people would probably think it is a little crazy, but to us it is just perfect. 

Our traditions have morphed and changed over the years to accommodate the changes in our family. But each year it seems to get better and better. We are family. We love each other. And that is what makes it great. 

So there are seventeen of us in all (strictly in my immediate family) and we all love to be together. We do Christmas morning and pretty much all day at my parents house. We buy gifts for everyone, and we all take turns opening them. Presents are an all day event in our house. Thus my logic for using the term “crazy.”

My husband is like a little boy when it comes to Christmas, I love this about him. I kid you not, the first year we were married he woke me up at 2:00 and then I made him go back to sleep until 4:30…. Yes FOUR THIRTY, when we got up and opened presents. Pitch black outside. What a memory. This year he was a little better. Woke me up twice in the night, but didn’t insist I get out of bed until 6:30 : ) 

Because of Cory’s early hours on Christmas, we are generally the first ones to arrive at my parents. We start with coffee while we admire the mountain of presents. Then we have to wait for all of the other siblings (six in all, plus the spouses and kiddlings) to trickle in one by one. Everyone comes in like numerous Santas, bringing their piles of wrapped packages. 

Before opening any presents we always give glory where it is due and listen to the Christmas story. My dad used to read it every year. Then when my brother was a little older (he is the baby of the family) he started reading it. And now for the last three years my six year old niece has been quoting it for us. Yes, she has had Luke 2 memorized since she was three and has performed at church every Christmas since.

We then do our stockings and spend the entire day opening presents. It is all about giving in our house hold. Everyone sincerely loves to give their gifts to one another. Whenever anyone gives a gift, the giver stands by eagerly anticipating the excitement of the receiver. 

At about eleven we take a present break and work together to make a giant breakfast complete with my dad’s famous sausage, hash browns, scrambled eggs, and pancakes. In the midst of the eating, the present opening, and the socializing, we do a crazy "getty-up" dance to the song "Sleigh Ride". I don't know when we started doing this... probably in our teens. But now it is great fun with all of the little kiddies running around. They love it.

This year was very special because my Aunt and Uncle joined us for Christmas and two wonderful guests of honor – my grandparents. They made a perfect day even better by being a part of our Christmas. 

What a wonderful season it was indeed. 

What kind of fun traditions do you have on Christmas? I can’t wait to hear! Link below!

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog and I would just like to also mention that I have nominated you for the Leibster award over on my blog. I hope you play along :)

    Jess x

    jessiemckenzie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nomination Jessica! I actually just did the Liebster award last week! I don't think that I can get to another one until at least I am done with the January blogathon. Thanks so much anyway! I hope you can be a part of this month's link up!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...