Friday, January 10, 2014

Who Would You Fall in Love With?

Today's post will end the first week of the blogathon. We have the whole weekend off before we start again with prompts and inspiration on Monday :)

Our theme for today is inspired directly from the heart of a lover of literature, imaginary characters, and enjoyment found in escaping into different worlds discovered between the pages.

Name your top three favorite literary heroes and why.


1. Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice.

This one is a no-brainer for me. He is truly one of the most wonderful characters ever written. Tall, handsome, witty, rich, intelligent, generous, all balanced by a tasteful amount of sarcasm, pessimism, and pride (well, tasteful after Elisabeth get's a hold of his heart). Every single time I read this book I find something new to love about this character or a novel way to be inspired or amused by his behavior. Truly a wonderful hero.


2. Sir Percy Blakeney from The Scarlet Pimpernel.

I read this book for this first time at age twelve, and I am pretty sure a little piece of my heart belongs to Sir Percy, the valiant hero of the French Revolution. A more intelligent, good looking, romantic, or brave hero was never written. I have to share a quote from him to demonstrate what a wonderful character his is.(Yes, I REALLY am aware that he is a fictional character and that this was actually written by an author.... but when I read.... I become involved with the characters. They become my brilliant friends. People I learn from, respect, and sympathize with. Other readers understand I am sure). Having said that, Percy:

"And 'twill be when you understand that your idol has feet of clay that you'll learn the real  lesson of love. Is it love to worship a saint in heaven, whom you dare not touch, who hovers above you like a cloud, which floats away from you even as you gaze? To love is to feel one being in the world at one with us, our equal in sin as well as in virtue. To love, for us men, is to clasp one woman with our arms, feeling that she lives and breathes just as we do, thinks with us, loves with us, and, above all, sins with us. Your mock saint who stands in a niche is not a woman if she have not suffered, still less a woman if she have not sinned. Fall at the feet of your idol as you wish, but drag her down to your level after that - the only level she should ever reach, that of your heart." - From Baroness Orczy's I Will Repay.
 3. Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights.

Heathcliff... the truly tragic hero of Bronte's work. This character is akin to the bad boy of classic literature. His poetic nature draws the poet unto himself. And yet his dark side shuts the noble out. While reading the sketch of his character throughout the pages I love him and hate him, pity him and blame him, hope for him and then against him. It is an amazing literary creation which excites such confusion of feeling.

These are my choices for wonderful literary characters. I am curious to see what others would choose. Link below!

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I could day-dream all day about it- I think I'd reverse it and say I'd love to be loved like Gatsby loved Daisy or just agree with your #1 haha :) Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jessi! you are right. I love that even better :) it's one thing to love an amazing fictional hero and a whole other level to be loved by him. And if we're daydreaming anyway, why not?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...