Friday, May 31, 2013

From the Canals to the Colosseum



Cory and I are comfortably situated in a speedy train and currently making our way through the Italian Countryside. There are so many beautiful sights to see as we go through fields, farms, and towns. I just wish I were able to take pictures of some of the wonderful sights. But, I will have to save the countryside for our next visit to Italy.

I could definitely get used to this mode of transportation. Someone drives me at a fast pace wherever I want to go, I have beautiful views, and I can write or read as I choose with “Dustland Fairytale” blasting in my headphones. Yes, life is good. 

We took a lovely walk in San Marco’s Square last night to get gelato and commemorate our final evening in Venice. It started to rain so we were not able to take too many pictures, but I got one that will at least demonstrate the lovely lights and ambiance. According to our gondolier, it has been raining here far more than usual for this time of year. Although I love sunshine, the sound of the rain on the water right outside my window at night has been lovely as well.

This morning I felt quite sad as we closed the door of our little Venetian home for the last time. We carted all of our bags through the numerous winding streets to the train station. Fortunately, thanks to Cory’s studied knowledge of the canals, we only had to cross six of the 400 bridges in Venice en route. 

It was a rainy morning and I confess I was paranoid the rain would hurt my beautiful new purse the whole walk (but it has since dried out just as Cory said it would). We left ourselves ample time to stop over at our favorite cafĂ© for delicious cappuccinos. 

And so we said farewell to all of our newfound friends in Venice, not the least of these being the shops and canals, the pasta and the pizza, and the owners of our two favorite establishments. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...